Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Tell me what you think!!!

Hello to all!
So far the school year is going great! One of the purposes of this blog is to allow students to post comments on assignments or on issues brought up in class. I think it is valuable for parents/guardians to be able to see what is going on in class, as well.

So the assignment for the week is:

Comment on a topic we have talked about in class. You can keep your comments short, 2 to 3 sentences, but I want your opinion, not just reverberated text! Tell me how you feel about the topic, or something that really fascinated you!

Parents/Guardians - feel free to leave me a comment as well, just be sure to let me know who belongs to you, as I am still learning!

Students - You have until September 9, 2010(by 4:00 PM) to post a comment, this will be for a grade.

65 comments:

  1. The part I found the most interesting would be the part about the cataracts, I Did not realize they actually helped serve as docking mechanisms to slow down and speed the river up. I already knew the part about the 6 gateways into the afterlife but i didn't realize they served a real functional purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Magna Carta: It was, in my opinion, a very important document. If this wasn't signed, life today may be different in many ways. One way is, we might still have a feudalistic government with no choices for lower class people.

    Submitted by,
    Luke Huffer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im so glad we dont live in the medieval times the way the peasants were treated was horrible.Therefore i am glad that King John signed a document so that it would allow people who were lower class to have independence.Without that document everyone would probly not be who they are today.

    Submitted by,
    Courtney Robinson

    ReplyDelete
  4. If this was not signed life today may be different in many ways..

    ReplyDelete
  5. At firt I didn't want to learn about the Dark and Middle ages but, it wasn't bad after all. My favorit part about learning about the Middle and Dark ages was learning how much different the people of their time lived then the people of today and also how differrent their goverment was then today.

    Posted by: Jaden-Ray Eckermann

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Dark Ages seemed like a bad time to live in because of the falling of the Roman Empire. Had the Roman Empire not fallen maybe the Vikings wouldn't have come and caused the Black Death outbreak. Another reason i wouldn't have liked to live in this time is because people weren't learning as much. Also because of the Vikings, they looked different so people were scared of them, and because it seems they raided other villages for fun. Well at least people are learning how to deal with the Black Death so the next outbreak won't be so bad (hopefully there won't be a next time).

    Emily Fischer

    ReplyDelete
  7. From the day we started learning about the dark and middle ages i could tell that they were a very rough period. Vikings and barbarians ruled and a period of declining began. I was enlightened to learn that they finally formed a feudalistic government that gave some rights to pheasants and established order among the people.

    Posted By:Brandon Salinas

    ReplyDelete
  8. What I found most interesting about the ancient Egyptians was that they were originally two separate kingdoms. This surprised me because I did not think that such a power full and intelligent people could have started with such a humble beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found the fact that King John, who was William of Normangy's great, great grandson signed the Magna Carta interesting, because William of Normangy was the one who conquered England in 1066 during the battle of Hastings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The most interesting thing to me was the Magna Carta because it required the King to get the agreement of nobility before raising taxes. It was one of the first documents to be signed to protect some rights of people, which was signed by King John who was William's of Normangy's great great grandson.


    Kristina Jasinski

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found it very interesting and kind of disgusting that they took the organs of the dead out and treated them as a part of the mummification process. I didn't think that so long ago they would have the knowledge to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. something that i learned that was interesting was that the colonist dress up as native americans and dumped all the tea in the boston harbor and the british were very feruious.


    by paden ullrich

    ReplyDelete
  13. something that i learned was that the boston massacre was not a massacre the british just exaggerated the truth.



    by kurt jasinski

    ReplyDelete
  14. The thing that i found the most interesting is about the mummies and how they perserved the organs to make them last longer. I found it weird but yet interesting.

    Posted by: Kaylee Busby

    ReplyDelete
  15. Something i found very interesting was learning about the artifact and how some of what they did we do know.Like with the embalming or also known as mummification we still use today.

    Sincerely,
    Johnay Jackson

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have many opions about social studies but there is only one i can talk about. I believe that the pedestrians were treated unfairly. They had to get permission just to leave the land to go somewhere "now that is just down right unfair". There was one good thing about living there though they could farm there own food. They had to do all of the chores though "(like farming). "if you ask me i think they had it hard".

    Posted By: Austin Langley

    ReplyDelete
  17. i liked how we talked about the viking and how they were mean and brutal. they were skilled sailors and how they built there ships and how they brought the black death. they would raided and trade but if you ask me i think the viking had it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Something I learned was the Boston Masacre was not as bad as they worked it up to be, only 5 men died and they made a big deal out of something so little.

    -Torie Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  19. Over the past two weeks i have learned some pretty interesting things.I have really begain to understand about all the Acts that went on (Tea Act, Stamp Act, Intolerble Acts). I also learned that the Boston Masacre was not as bad as they say it was for only 5 men were killed.


    ~Christina Trevino~

    ReplyDelete
  20. Something that was interesting to me about the Nile was how they have monthly long floods. This provides nutrients for the soil without humans having to do something, it's just natural.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My favorite thing that we have learned so far in your class is Machu Pichu. It was very interesting thing the way that the Indians made it, and the way that the Palaces had running water. I really like learning about things like that. What interested me even more was the fact that the remains of Machu Pichu still stand and that millions of people see it daily.
    Submitted by,
    Christopher Holt

    ReplyDelete
  22. I thoroughly respect the way that our ancestors traded goods. I respect this so much because we would not have the advanced trade that we have today. We would not have diversified religion, spices, materials and even people if it weren't for trade.

    Posted by: Amanda Chapdelaine

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think that it is a pretty neat fact about the Nile river running South to North. Being the only river flowing like that, it makes it unique and different. And the Egyptians were lucky enough to be settled by such a magnificent river.

    ReplyDelete
  24. what i found most interesting about the early Egyptians was how they handled their dead. how they put tools, weapons, and clothes in their casket. and also the more items you had in your casket the more important you are.

    By:Ryan Salinas

    ReplyDelete
  25. I found t interesting that the Egyptians made boats. They even beat a plant and made a type of paper for the sail. I did not realize that paper was invented that early, even if they weren't really using it to write on like we do.

    Posted by: Katelynn Bobbitt

    ReplyDelete
  26. The thing I found more intersesting and that I like was the time line. It was easier for me to remember things.
    -Andrea Huerta-

    ReplyDelete
  27. I didn't know that the neolithic age was also known as the New Age. Thanks for the help.

    P.S. I'm kng and Parliment I can do what I want!!

    CHRIS MAYNARD

    ReplyDelete
  28. I didn't know that Virginia was named after the virgin Queen Elizabeth.


    Erich Oberhoff

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is a test to see if I can post a message.

    ReplyDelete
  30. The most interesting thing i found in this chapter is that the Nile river flows backwards. How it flows from south to north. I often wander how long did it take for the egyptians to figure out that it flowed like that. The Nile river is very interesting just like the people that lived beside it.
    Trevor Smith

    ReplyDelete
  31. One Intresting thing i noticed is that the city's where all near water. You really couldn't find citys away in the desert around that time peroid. They most likely only staid near the water because of there crops but you'd think maybe some citys ran strickly off of trade.

    ReplyDelete
  32. One thing that I found interesting was the fact that the Egyptians had buried so many things with their dead. You think that they would know that dead people couldn't eat food or wear the clothes that the Egyptians put in the tomb, other than the ones they were in of course.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I thought that how the Egyptions took the internal organs out of the body before they buried them was pretty interesting. Also, when they would bury food and artifacts with them so they would be protected in the afterlife.

    ReplyDelete
  34. When you were showing us the Egyptian Gods, I noticed something that caught my eye. The Egyptian God, Aten, had a picture of a sun disk that looked like a sun with rays. To me, this resembled the modern tractor disc. I wonder if the two are connected or if it was just a coincidence.

    ReplyDelete
  35. What I like most so far is the math that the Egypians used. It was very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  36. the egyptians use the hieroglyphics and drew pictures of gods and studied ways to perserve bodies.
    the sumerianss use the pictographs, used a stylus or wedge shaped tool.

    ReplyDelete
  37. what i found interesteing about the egyptians was the way they drew pictures to tell storys that is what I found interesteing

    ReplyDelete
  38. The most interesting i found so far is talking about the Boston Tea party and Boston Massacre. I loved it when the coloniest disguised their self as Native Americans and dump tea into the harbor. The Boston Massacre was cool even though it wasnt as big as the is.

    ReplyDelete
  39. The Best thing about your class is when they found those foot prints. And when they preserved the dead. That was awesome

    ReplyDelete
  40. What i found intresting is how they buried they dead.They buried them with there important possions and the more things you had thats the more important your are.

    ReplyDelete
  41. when they took organs out of the bdy that was cool . And how they presevred the organs

    ReplyDelete
  42. I think that the dark ages were a very dark, brutal time period. The way the barbarians ruled and how there was no order was almost frustrating to learn about. I'm glad that King John signed the Magna Carta, granting some rights to people. I enjoyed learning about the dark and middle ages.

    Posted By:Garrett Kunetka

    ReplyDelete
  43. Im glad that I did not live in the Middle Ages. The reason is because i wouldn't have wanted to be a peasant and have to work all day long for the king and all of the people above me.

    Emma Broesche

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hey i did not know that the egyptians buried there dead in the prymaids That is kinda cool i thought.




    Stefanie McPherson

    ReplyDelete
  45. The paleo indians adapt to the changes moving from one region to another, in search for animals to hunt and to gathering wild plants

    ~Louis Brown~

    ReplyDelete
  46. i didnt know that there was a middle stone age


    By micah harmel

    ReplyDelete
  47. The part I found the most interesting would be the part about the Great Pharaohs and how they took the organs of the dead out and treated them as a part of the mummification process,

    ~Mallory Gandy~

    ReplyDelete
  48. I thought it was interesting that King Johns great, great grandfather was william of Normandy. William of normandy conqured England during the battle of Hastings in 1066.

    Carlie Callahan

    ReplyDelete
  49. The interesting thing that i learned was about all the pyramids in Egypt. They are very hage and unique in some kind of way. I also learned that they used the mud from the Nile river to build the pyramids. They also put different disigns on them

    ReplyDelete
  50. The interesting thing i learned was about the magna carta. I never knew that was what it was used for i always knew it was important. But i never knew it was what gave the people some rights and the nobles about the taxes

    ReplyDelete
  51. i never knew that there was so many important documents in our countrys higstory. if we didnt have many of these documents our country wouldnt be as organized and well ran.

    Eric Mathis

    ReplyDelete
  52. its cool how patriots dressed up as indians and dumped all the tea in the harbor. that had to take time and planning.

    xavier bethany

    ReplyDelete
  53. Writting the declaration of independence is the most interesting thing to me. Not only did it declare us as the 13 colonies but it also lead to new ideas of blacks having as much a right to have liberty and freedom as we do. It marked the begginning of a new nation.

    -Keaten Tarver

    ReplyDelete
  54. I thought that when Washington surprised attack the red coats on christmas was interseresting. It's a perfect time for a surprised attack considering they were all distracted by celebrating christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  55. i learn about frech and indian war. It was called the 7 year war.

    ReplyDelete
  56. The one that caught my eye the best was Christopher Columbus beacause he did alot of things that i really didn't know. For example is that i knew he sailed across the ocean, but at the same time i didn;t know deeper information about it, i got a chance to.

    ReplyDelete
  57. I didn't know that the pyramid of Giza base was 13 acers

    Deitrick Garcia

    ReplyDelete
  58. I like the way we talked about the vikings and the middle and dark ages. I like how the viking were brutal and mean to people and i like how the black death took over europe and killed all those people. I thought the middle and dark ages would have been alsome to live in those days.
    josh

    ReplyDelete
  59. i learn that the balck death was terrible. Why it terrilble because people was trowing their own waste out there and that people trow trash out in the street where people get sick and die.

    ReplyDelete
  60. I found the Babylonians interesting. Especially the long history of the nations that occupied the Fertile Cresent.

    ReplyDelete
  61. I think the middle ages are very cool! But I don't think it would be very fun being a peasent, but I think it would be cool to be a queen!
    - Krista

    ReplyDelete
  62. It amazed me how they transported or moved the ginormous Sphix model! Hearing and learning that elephants pulled the statues just stuck out like a sour thumb to me. Learning how the Egyptians did the things back then just amazed me. I thought it ws animal abuse because that is a huge object! Keep the elephants in the circus and zoo! :)
    - Desiree Garcia :)

    ReplyDelete
  63. I liked the Egyptian art and architecture part of our discussions. It still amazes me now that people so long ago MADE UP their own number system. I actually went home and read the chapter on that subject

    ReplyDelete
  64. Hello, my name is chase and i am a Greek citizen, i was born and raised in Athens. This week has been extremely hectic, with the Olympic games starting and all. Though its been so hectic its been rather peaceful in most areas of Athens, there hasn't been a war in a few years too which has the entire city in high morale. But ive heard rumors from a very trusted source that there could be another one on the horizon, but im not so sure because there is nobody we have been feuding against lately. The first event at the Olympics started yesterday, it was the discus throwing contest. and the great sculptor, Myron, was there to watch and create a statue symbolizing the start of the Olympics and the first sport played. The games were extremely amazing feats of strength and skill. Thought nobody was crowned champion yest as the games are still occurring, i think all the athletes, and spectators, had a great time

    ReplyDelete